
In Columbus, Ohio when Halloween falls on the weekend, trick or treating is scheduled for the Thursday before. I've heard that it is to make it safer for kids, but I've recently heard some other reasons too. They call it Beggars Night. So yesterday evening we hopped over to the local "little provo" so Shane could trick or treat with his friends. As we were getting ready to head out the door Shane saw the bowl of candy on the floor. He very excitedly filled his bucket with ALL of it.
Here is a picture of Adam and Shane just before heading out to trick or treat:
(If it isn't obvious, Shane is Alfalfa and Adam is his dad.)
(If it isn't obvious, Shane is Alfalfa and Adam is his dad.)

Needless to say we didn't stay out trick or treating for long. In fact I think Shane only went up to three doors. We went home, got some hot chocolate and started defrosting Shane's hands. As traumatic as this experience appeared to be for Shane, he perked right up when he pulled a sucker out of his bucket and I told him he could go ahead and eat it.
The green pumpkin bucket is now Shane's new most prized possession. He toted it around the house all day after Adam bought it for him. He was even more excited about carrying it around once he had candy in it. Later that night when it was time for bed I explained to Shane that he wouldn't be able to take his bucket to bed with him. After many attempts, he was unwilling to give the bucket up so I had to force it out of his hands. He immediately became hysterical. I knew he would start crying, but wow! This was one of the biggest tantrums he has ever thrown. He was completely inconsolable. When he refused to calm down to read bedtime stories with me, I told him to let me know when he was ready to read and walked out of the room. It was another 5-10 minutes before he finally decided to stop screaming and flailing his body around.
Tonight was our Church's halloween party. I was excited because it would be a chance for Shane to "trick or treat" inside where it is warm. Sadly, we had to stay home because Shane came down with some virus. Oh well.
Next year's costume: Eskimo.
I love the story that goes along with the pictures. Shane (and Adam) looked pretty great. I had a good laugh at the next year's costume comment.
ReplyDeleteJust be lucky your kid didn't decide to wear his Halloween bucket on his head and refuse to take it off for the last 6 months like I did. Consider yourself lucky. By the way, your "leave a comment" button is practically invisible.
ReplyDeleteCute costumes, Parker is also starting to throw tantrums....those boys :)
ReplyDeleteCUTE little rascals idea!!! Sorry the weather was bad and things didn't work out as well as you had hoped. I hope your family gets better soon:)
ReplyDelete