Sunday, October 24

Speech



So Shane has made some great improvements over the last couple of months. Ever since his 2 year doctor check-up when it was determined that Shane's verbal communication was very delayed, we started encouraging more words. I didn't tell him not to use his sign language I just didn't encourage it anymore and instead encouraged real words. Well, today he has probably at least double is verbal vocabulary. And even though most things that come out of his mouth sound like Russian, he does actually try to say SO much more. Before he wouldn't even TRY. Shane definitely requires an interpreter and frustration is common, but progress is being made. That makes me happy.

Shane finally got into speech therapy. We had an evaluation done a while back and they said his verbal communication was at the level of 12-15months old. We were on the waiting list for therapy for 1-2 months. He gets to go to therapy once a week for 30minutes. I am really excited to see how it helps him. What I hope he gets out of it is better articulation. He seems to have a really hard time saying certain sounds and forming words correctly. More words will come with time; I am not particularly worried about that.

Because of Shane's delayed speech and history of many ear infections, we had his hearing tested. It had been two weeks since his last ear infection and the pediatrician felt that was enough recovery time. It was determined by the audiologist that he had fluid in his ears, and marginal test results. We were referred to an ENT. We went to the ENT and he said Shane's ears looked fine and that there was no fluid. He does not recommend tubes at this time, but it might be something to consider next time he gets an ear infection. Apparently it took Shane longer than 2 weeks to fully recover from his ear infection. I haven't talked to the pediatrician yet about the ENT visit, but based on what the ENT said it seems inevitable that Shane will get ear tubes at some point this winter.

Amber's personal diagnosis: A while back I noticed a plateau/slight decline in the progress Shane was making with his speech, then suddenly he picked it back up again. After the ENT visit I thought back. I think Shane's lack of progress coincides with the time period that Shane had his last ear infection and recovery time afterward. I can't be sure because kids can go backward and forward on things for various reasons, but it makes sense that during Shane's ear infections and the recovery time afterward when he still has fluid in his ears, that his hearing isn't as good. IF this is true (which is a big if), it seems to me that would be a good explanation for his delayed speech. After the age of 12months language learning really kicks into high gear. Well right after Shane turned one we went into winter time, which is when Shane had lots of ear infections. Maybe my theory is right, but maybe I am dead wrong. I don't think I will ever really know.

This experience has made me more sympathetic (or empathetic?) to moms who are constantly searching for an explanation to why their kids are the way they are. I often find myself doing the same thing, always wanting an explanation, a reason, something to blame for why Shane doesn't talk (much). But when it comes down to it, there might not be a reason. I just have to accept the way Shane is and not worry about it. I am able to do that more and more as time passes, but it is difficult when it causes us both so much frustration at times. It is good practice for the future though, because there will always be something other kids are better at. He can't be good at everything. I have to be okay with that. I should feel blessed because at least this challenge will eventually pass. It will take some time, but it will pass. Not all parents can say that. It is a blessing that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...