Sunday, October 10

Life (continued)

Warning: Potty Talk (TMI)

So awhile back I purchased a potty seat. One of those seats you put on the big toilet so your child doesn't fall into the porcelain pool of nasty. It is called the "Cushie Tushie." I wasn't expecting or planning on starting potty training. I just wanted to be prepared for when Shane became more interested in using the toilet. Shane is quite use to seeing Adam and I use the bathroom. Adam is a guy so closing the door just takes too much effort and if I close the door, Shane screams as if someone stole his baseball bat from him (his bat being one of his most prized possessions at the moment). The upside is that I never have to flush the toilet when he is around, what a great helper.

Whenever I bring something new home other than groceries Shane is just like most children, very interested and eager to help open it. The Cushie Tushie was no different. I opened it up and put it on the toilet. I explained to him what it was and what it was for and then asked him if he wanted to sit on it. He nodded his head yes and immediately started pulling his pants down (he might have just been looking for an excuse to get naked). 2 seconds later he was "all done." I wasn't surprised. The Cushie Tushie has a handy little hook to hang it up while not in use, so I hung it up by the toilet and that was the end. Since then, every time Shane comes to me grabbing his diaper I ask him if he needs a diaper change. Of course he always says no. Then I ask him if he needs to go sit on the toilet like mom and dad. He always says no and I say Ok and move on.

Yesterday, we had a few of Shane's friends over for our weekly babysitting group. All of the kids are older than Shane by almost a year and completely potty trained. One of the little girls let me know she needed to go to the bathroom. So I took her into the bathroom to help her since our toilet is rather large and tall compared to most. Shane followed us in and I tried to wave him out, but he refused. The little girl probably couldn't have cared less, but I felt Shane needed to learn that he couldn't watch everyone go to the bathroom. So I shuffled him out and closed the door with me inside just in case more help was needed. Shane went nuts and just screamed outside the door. This was not just a stolen baseball bat, this was stolen baseball bat, baseball and baseball glove. I opened the door and tried to explain to him why he couldn't come in. The whole time I was talking he was trying to look around me to see what was going on in the bathroom.

Today Shane came to me whining, grabbing his diaper. I asked him if he needed to sit on the toilet and he nodded his head YES! I was amazed and 100% happy to oblige. When I took off his diaper there was a small pellet of poo, which means this wasn't just another one of Shane's joy rides on the cushie tushie. I sat him on the toilet and I acted happy and excited for this "fun" experience. He started crying. Not because he wanted down, but because it hurt. I felt bed, but the only answer was either hug him tight on the toilet or hug him tight on my lap. I chose toilet. So I hugged him tight, encouraging him to push it out and then he would feel better. He kept on crying and saying no. A minute or two later, I asked him if he wanted a drink, didn't wait for a reply and immediately told him I'd go get him some milk (this sounds mean, but it is his ultimate comfort food). So I head off to quickly fill a cup of milk. While I am pouring the milk Shane stops crying and all I hear is, "Yay."

Yay is right!! My boy pooped in the toilet for the very first time!!! I think I praised him more than I ever have before. Of course I still gave him the milk. He totally deserved it! He seemed happy with him self afterward. So did the sweet little girl from babysitting group inspire Shane? If she did, I am so grateful! I see pull-ups and "Cars" underwear in my future. Strangely enough that makes me so happy!

Was this a long enough potty story for you? Hope so ;)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I hope it sticks. Addy is still struggling with potty training, pooping in her pull-ups at your parents' house just today. Nothing seems to work. She gets all excited and says she's going to do it and then she doesn't. We're going to have to try commando now.

    Some kids get potty trained really young. I'm sure that would be nice to only have 1 kid in diapers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...