Monday, August 16

Lessons on Biking

So I decided recently it was high time I kick my butt into gear and work off the post-pregnancy belly flab. I really dislike running, but I really enjoy biking. So, I bought myself a bike. Admittedly, it has been quite some time since I have ridden a bike (over 3 years). But it doesn't take long to learn from mistakes.

Today was my first day breaking myself in. (Yes mom I am WAY behind in our mileage competition). My experience was umm... enlightening.

(The bike I bought is an old cheap road bike. That might explain a few things below.)

1. Columbus is NOT biker friendly. I grew up in Salem, Oregon where on many of the major roads there are BIKE LANES. Not too terribly different from just riding on the road, but at least you get SOME extra space and a relatively smooth riding surface.

2. You certainly can't ride on the sidewalks because walkers get pretty upset at you, besides there are very few places in Columbus that even have sidewalks. Riding on the few sidewalks that exist is painful and annoying. Painful, because they are so incredibly uneven and bumpy. I am pretty sure I have been permanently bruised by the brick of a seat I have. Seriously, based on the pain I am feeling, I may never be able to have kids again (ok I am exaggerating just a little, but it is so painful!)I promise not all of it was because I haven't ridden in so long. Riding on the sidewalks is annoying because here in columbus the down grade of the sidewalk to the cross street is really far in from the curb. So you have to slow way down to take the sharp turn of the sidewalk so you aren't forced to just jump the curb (I can't even imagine how painful THAT would be).

3. Riding on the road is not much different than the sidewalk (at least here in Columbus). You have to ride about 3 or 4 feet out from the curb just to avoid all the bumps and holes (I am not exaggerating this one). Riding on the road is also extremely scary. I was terrified the whole time that I was going to get hit by some distracted driver.

4. Bikes on craigslist are always worse then they say. So was my bike worth the money I paid for it? I am not so sure anymore.

1 comment:

  1. You are not so far behind. I have only been biking about 3 times. And I know EXACTLY what you mean about the pain. It helps to get a gel seat cover or bike shorts. And it helps when you are coasting down the hills to put all of your weight on one foot and get the weight off your "seat".

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...