Reading books: I propped Makenzie up on the chair so she could look around. Shane immediately grabbed a couple of books and hopped up next to her. He tried handing her a book and of course it was headed towards her face, so I intervened. I propped the book up so that she could "read" with Shane. He was very happy.Shane is continuing to be a great big brother! You can tell he really cares for Makenzie. I ask him if he loves her and he always nods his head yes. He still tries to share with her occasionally but definitely developing a better understanding that she doesn't play with toys just yet or eat gold fish crackers. He used to try stuffing her pacifier in her mouth constantly. He still does sometimes, but much less often and much more gently. Whenever she cries he runs to retrieve the pacifier and hands it to us to give to her.
Daddy has been very busy lately so Shane has gotten used to Makenzie going with us everywhere we go. Sometimes I will take a couple bags out to the car and then come back for Makenzie since the carseat is rather heavy. I ask Shane to come get in his carseat, but he refuses. He stands by Makenzie in her carseat pointing at her and won't budge until I grab her or assure him that I won't forget her. When I take Shane out by himself he always points to where her carseat goes as if reminding me not to forget Makenzie. When I tell him she isn't coming with us, he always looks confused and a little disappointed.
Makenzie gets a bit fussy in the evening right now, so during dinner it is common for her to be laying in her bouncer by the kitchen table so we can bounce her while we eat. Shane gets upset sometimes when we don't put her next his chair.
Shane loves to do everything Makenzie gets to do. Whenever I change Makenzie's diaper Shane will go get one of his diapers and want to be changed too. But he doesn't just want his diaper changed; he wants his diaper changed on the SAME changing mat as Makenzie. It is really great when he actually NEEDS a diaper change. We borrowed a baby swing from a friend. Shane constantly wants to get in it and try it out. I try to explain to him that it is only for babies, but he is always upset when I say no. It might be because when we first pulled out the bouncer after Makenzie was born we let him sit in it. He is obviously WAY to big for it, but he got a kick out of it. (The swing is a different story though A: it isn't ours and B: it most definitely has a weight limit.)
Shane still doesn't seem to like holding Makenzie. Sometimes he will ask to hold her but as soon as his hands touch her he pushes her away. However, he loves to give her kisses and "head conks" as we call them (in Finding Nemo its called Noggin :) ). Sometimes his kisses are just him licking her lips. We are trying to teach him to kiss her on the cheek. Right now when we ask him to kiss her on the cheek he just puts his cheek up to her cheek, but it is still cute. We try to discourage the "head conks." As you can imagine she doesn't enjoy them much :)
I have a feeling these two will be good buddies. At least until Shane gets older and becomes too "cool" for his little sister.
No comments:
Post a Comment