
Weight: 10lbs 2oz (75%)
Height: 20.25 in. (50%)
Height: 20.25 in. (50%)
Makenzie hit 1 month old on July 9th (I know she is almost 2 months old!). Adam has been so crazy busy that I have been on my own with the kids a lot, which means I've been crazy busy too. When you are taking care of a 2 year old and a newborn opportunities to write for a blog are practically zilch. Not only have I been neglecting the blog but I have also been neglecting my camera. I have practically no new pictures of Makenzie since the last post. When she gets older and looks back, I am pretty sure she going to think we loved Shane more. By this time Shane already had hundreds of pictures of him. Makenzie has less than 50. I felt like a terrible mother when I discovered this. Since then I have been trying to reform myself. No photo shoots, but at least random shots of everyday life. Most of the pictures aren't great, but at least we'll have the memories.
As you can imagine, Makenzie isn't doing too much just yet. Eating, sleeping and filling her diaper is just about everything. She is going through these weird cycles of sleeping and not sleeping. For a few days she will sleep non-stop all day and all night and then the next few days she will have the hardest time getting to sleep. So naturally she ends up spending a lot of time awake fussy then finally she crashes and sleeps for 8 hours. Makenzie is pretty consistent about sleeping 6-8 hours each night. Every once in awhile (like last night) she wakes up every 3 hours. It really messes with my energy level.
Makenzie has started smiling for us. It doesn't happen every often but when it does, her eyes just light up and it is the most beautiful thing. We love trying to make her smile!
I have a confession: I have struggled with feeling as close to Makenzie as I did with Shane at this age (not postpartum depression or anything). I couldn't figure it out for awhile. I never lacked in love for her. I have ALWAYS loved her just as much as Shane. But there is that extra special connection you have with people you know and feel close to that I feel has not been as strong. I wondered if it was just the crazy hormones in my body (which it could have been part of it). However, it donned on me recently that that close special connection is there, but Shane is distracting me from being able to notice it and enjoy it. I certainly don't blame Shane in the least. I am his mom and he wants me to play with him, snuggle with him and give him all the same attention I always have, which I love to do. But when Shane is finally asleep, Adam is gone/busy, and it is just me and my sweet little girl, we snuggle up, I talk to her, try to get her to smile and watch as she falls asleep in my arms (albeit after a few stressful hours of rocking in a chair or patting her bum hoping I won't be up till 1am). During those moments those feelings of closeness/that special connection floods my heart and I really truly feel like her mother, that she is all mine and I couldn't be happier.
We love Makenzie so much and thank the Lord every night that we have her and Shane in our lives.
As you can imagine, Makenzie isn't doing too much just yet. Eating, sleeping and filling her diaper is just about everything. She is going through these weird cycles of sleeping and not sleeping. For a few days she will sleep non-stop all day and all night and then the next few days she will have the hardest time getting to sleep. So naturally she ends up spending a lot of time awake fussy then finally she crashes and sleeps for 8 hours. Makenzie is pretty consistent about sleeping 6-8 hours each night. Every once in awhile (like last night) she wakes up every 3 hours. It really messes with my energy level.
Makenzie has started smiling for us. It doesn't happen every often but when it does, her eyes just light up and it is the most beautiful thing. We love trying to make her smile!
I have a confession: I have struggled with feeling as close to Makenzie as I did with Shane at this age (not postpartum depression or anything). I couldn't figure it out for awhile. I never lacked in love for her. I have ALWAYS loved her just as much as Shane. But there is that extra special connection you have with people you know and feel close to that I feel has not been as strong. I wondered if it was just the crazy hormones in my body (which it could have been part of it). However, it donned on me recently that that close special connection is there, but Shane is distracting me from being able to notice it and enjoy it. I certainly don't blame Shane in the least. I am his mom and he wants me to play with him, snuggle with him and give him all the same attention I always have, which I love to do. But when Shane is finally asleep, Adam is gone/busy, and it is just me and my sweet little girl, we snuggle up, I talk to her, try to get her to smile and watch as she falls asleep in my arms (albeit after a few stressful hours of rocking in a chair or patting her bum hoping I won't be up till 1am). During those moments those feelings of closeness/that special connection floods my heart and I really truly feel like her mother, that she is all mine and I couldn't be happier.
We love Makenzie so much and thank the Lord every night that we have her and Shane in our lives.
She is so beautiful! Her cheeks are filling out just like Shane's!!! I love it! And I love how she's sleeping with her arms up - so cute! I wish Jude could still sleep through a diaper change :)
ReplyDeleteShe is growing so fast!
ReplyDeleteAmber I love your description of finding that special time to snuggle with Makenzie and feel that closeness to her. It's so true that you have to be purposeful about that when a second baby. I LOVE the moments of one-on-one time with each kid and know that they are so important both to them and for me! She is beautiful!
ReplyDelete