Maybe it is because Shane now sleeps 7-8 hours at night, or because feeding him usually takes 15 minutes or less, or maybe it is because he hardly every cries, or the way he smiles at me. Whatever it is, motherhood is so much better now then the first couple of weeks after coming home from the hospital. I have to admit, those first couple of weeks were rough on me emotionally and I was wondering why having a kid was such a good idea to me. But now, even when he does wail, I USUALLY think it is cute. And it makes me so happy when he wakes up in the morning and turns his head to see me and a huge smile spreads across his face. Some how beginning to feel like the most important person in the world, like this cute little boy couldn't be happy without you makes you happier then you ever imagined. Being a mother does strange things to a woman.
These are pictures of Shane at 5 weeks (about 1 month):


So when I see other mothers, I feel like an imposter. I feel like they are REAL mothers but I'm not and I am just TRYING, unsuccessfully, to be one. Has anyone else ever felt like that? Maybe it is the inner "I'm not good enough" feeling that most women have haunting them. I have always thought that I am far from the stereotype of the "perfect mother." I've never had a problem with that. I always just figured I would make up for it by being a cool/funny mom. However, I have realized that just because a person is funny doesn't mean they are a good mother. Course I have also learned over the years that I'm not very funny. I love funny things and funny people, but my ability to make jokes probably shouldn't be labeled as one of my talents. Course I guess "funny" is different to a child. So, maybe to my son I will the funniest person in the world! There is no right way to be a mother though, right? Then no matter what way you look at, as long as my son is healthy and happy (most of the time) then I'm not doing anything wrong and just because someone else is a different mother than me, doesn't mean she is better. Maybe I'm better ;) (jk).
I don't know what you mean, exactly, cuz I'm not a mother yet. But for what it's worth, looks like you're a great mom to me! and I'm the same way with jokes.. I have my dad's sense of humor and NOBODY else thinks either one of us is funny! Maybe you'll get lucky and have one kid who thinks you're just a riot! :)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely LOVE your honesty in this - because I feel exactly the same way! I see other women and instantly look at what they do different (i.e.: better) than me. Comparisons are my worst enemy, and my quickest habit to kick in! Double wammy, huh?
ReplyDeleteBut! Being a mom definitely gets more wonderful every day - especially when you make them giggle and you know for a fact you're at least funny to them! :) Shane is adorable - quite the hunk!
Amber, you're an amazing mother! and such a natural as well! I'll definitely be looking to you as an example when someday Daniel and I decide to have kids :) Great post - very genuine, hopefully we can see you guys soon!
ReplyDeleteYay Amber! Shane is so adorable! I'm glad things are going better now. My brother had a baby in July, so their new parents too! I bet I'll feel like you when my day comes. I've never felt comfortable around babies, especially newborns. That's awesome that your mom came and helped you! I'll probably need that too. I love all the pics and you look great! Good luck with everything!
ReplyDeleteAmber, you are so cute. Shane will surely think you are funny. Boys adore their mothers! I think our babies are all sent to us for a reason; we need them and they need us...JUST THE WAY WE ARE.
ReplyDeleteMotherhood is not a contest and luckily there no scoring criteria that is universally accepted. I can guarantee you that your Shane will think you are the greatest mom ever until he becomes a teenager--then all bets are off--until he becomes an adult. :)
ReplyDeleteI am not a mother yet, but I think every mom feels that way sooner or later. You impress me with everthing you do and I am so happy for you to love being a mother.
ReplyDeleteSee ya tomorrow
Angie
from your mom-in-law, Amber you're a great mom. Feelings of inadequacy will never end, but you just try your best and know that you have been given Shane and the others that are still to come because you are the RIGHT mom for them. Just keep him and love him. You and Adam are great together. I love you all--
ReplyDelete