Sunday, June 6

Summertime...and the Livin' is Easy

At least it feels like summer; it has been very warm and humid. Here is what Shane and I have been up to while trying to beat the heat:

No shirt, no shoes, no problems! (Shane's preferred wardrobe these days.)


Swimming in the pool (which was later gnawed away by a rodent), Bunny Fountains (which Shane really doesn't like too much), Cinco de Mayo parties, the local beach, and playing in the backyard.

(If you hadn't noticed, Shane is wearing his Finding Nemo swim shorts in just about every picture. He SLEEPS in these shorts my friends. They are one of his most prized possessions.)


Shane loves baths and swimming pools, but really dislikes the Bunny Fountains (strange kid). This is why I was super d'duper excited to take him to the local beach at Alum Creek State Park. My thinking was that he'd probably love playing in the sand and CALM water. Unfortunately, my not-so-good mothering skills showed up.

We got to the lake and Shane started walking straight to the water. I (being the worst mother in the world) turn my back to lay a blanket down on the sand. Next thing I know Shane is on all fours in the water, frantically pushing up with his arms to keep his face from falling back into the water (he must have slipped in the wet sand). Gratefully, the worst was that he was simply shaken up about it. Sadly, the experience made it tough for him to really let loose and enjoy himself.

Shane stood on the shore line for a long time digging in the sand. When his toes would get more into the water and get covered by sand, he went rigid and started whining. Every time I asked him if he wanted to go swimming he gave me a very definite NO. He didn't even want to sit down.

He loosened up a bit later on and didn't want to leave when it was time to go; however, it was only due to some great peer pressure. Shane's cute little friend Gwen had no fear and would practically dive into the water herself with a smile on her face. She loved it. I am positive Gwen was the only reason Shane eventually got in the water. By the end, he was smiling and laughing and sitting on the sand with his feet in the water. I had to be next to him at all times, but at least he was having fun.

We will definitely be headed to the lake again. Especially since our pool is out of commission. This weekend Adam will be done with school for the summer (yay!!) and the high is around 90 degrees. I'd say that spells family lake trip (anyone want to join us?). Except maybe this time we will buy a life jacket for Shane ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love that he is wearing that suit in every picture. He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly Blogger was having problems yesterday as it posted the same comment by me 6 times yesterday!!! I am going to leave them there for you enjoyment LOL.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...