Our ward is a university married ward. It is designed to serve any married student in the Columbus metro area with children younger then primary age. Needless to say, sacrament meeting is very loud with so many young kids. It is a very friendly ward. Even when we came just to visit we had multiple couples introducing themselves and saying hello. There are 11 byu students in OSU's first year medical class, but only 3 of them (including Adam) currently go to the student ward. We have still been able to meet some them. One of the couples in our ward actually was friends with one of Adam's old roommates and his wife back in Utah. Also, at a stake softball game we ran into one of our old friends who was in my freshman ward, grew up in my Aunt's ward in California, and was Adam's anatomy TA partner at BYU who goes to a family ward. She got married a day after us, is pregnant and is due 3-4 days after me. Her husband is going to Pharmacy school here at OSU. This place is crazy!
Campus is about 15 minutes away via the freeway. What is so wonderful about where we live is that we are close to everything. Well, downtown and campus aren't close, but they aren't far away either. There are 3 grocery stores, a walmart, target, kmart, a bazillion pizza places (including little ceasars) and a dollar movie theater all with in 10 minutes of our apartment. And not too far beyond that is a mall, a bowling alley and a few other shopping areas that have pretty much any store you could need. The only thing that isn't close is Costco, but we don't have a membership anyway. We do have a Sam's Club near by though. Anyway, we are pretty close to anything we will ever need. There are also a bunch of parks really close by. Now, I just need to find a Goodwill :)
Our apartment is a townhouse nestled in a fairly quiet little residential area. The loudest things are the bugs in the trees (you will know if you ever come to visit, they are nuts!) and the cars driving by; apparently our street is a bit busier then we expected. Our apartment is old, but we like it. The land lord put in brand new windows (including patio door) and carpet right before we moved in and painted. It still has that old house musty smell, but I am hoping to find an effective way to freshen that up a bit. I haven't decided what kind of air freshener is best. Any suggestions? So, even though our apartment still isn't cleaned, organized and decorated the way I would like it to be, I took pictures anyway.
Our new cell phone takes panorama pictures. So I used our cell phone to take this picture of our living room. It was really hard to get a picture that really showed the whole thing otherwise. 
The door on the left, near the refrigerator is a pantry - one of my favorite things in the entire apartment.
As you can see, we have a nice little patio out back. Too bad there is no where to hang the hammock we bought in Mexico. And the trees out front are too far apart.
Our Bedroom. The second nightstand didn't fit so we put it in the baby's room as a stand for Marie, our snake.
The baby's room is really messy because I just don't know where to put all of the stuff we have for him. We don't really have any baby size storage space in this room yet, so I kind of just toss stuff in when I get it.
The rocker has cushions, but I took them off because they were really dirty. I bought it used so I am going to recover the cushions.
This is Adam's study space. It isn't the best, but it works for now. It is in the basement, so we are both curious as to what it is like in the winter. We will see if Adam survives or if we will have to make room for his desk somewhere else.
Since moving to Columbus, we haven't done much. However, we did go to Columbus's annual Jazz and Rib festival. It is held downtown on the riverfront where they have different jazz musicians playing throughout the day and a barbecue ribs contest. Adam and I tried the ribs from Armadillo's. They were very good! We had fun, but we decided that next year we should go on Friday when the lines are shorter, that way we can get samples from a few different places rather then trying just one.
Looks like you're slowly making Columbus home. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd it's so exciting that your little boy is almost on his way!
And for old smelling apartments, I would suggest Bath and Body Works Wallflowers. If you sign up for their email updates, you can find out when they have their really good specials (ie $6 each instead of the regular price). That's been my favorite in the past and now I'm addicted :)
I'm glad things are working out for you all in Columbus. I had never heard of that white coat ceremony thing, but it sounds pretty cool. I hope everything goes well with the baby!
ReplyDelete