The kids and I went on a short trip back to Ohio. We stayed with some of our best friends. It was so nice to see so many good friends again, to catch up, let the kids play, and just enjoy being back in such a wonderfully familiar place. It was actually really nice to say a second good-bye too, one that wasn't hampered by the commotion of moving. It really helped me to let go.
(That doesn't mean I like my tiny apartment in Baltimore though. I'll be so grateful for a larger place next year if we stick around.)
Bonus!! : we got to drop in on some more of our best Ohio friends who had recently moved to Pittsburgh. It was so good to see them!
We went hiking to the Gunpowder river with some friends where the kids all "slid" down a waterfall. There was a bigger one and then a little one. Shane did the big one with his floaty a couple of times while I sat at the bottom to catch him, but he loved the little one and went down it over and over again. Makenzie didn't really care too much about getting in the water. Her and her new friend sat on the rocks for most of the time just chatting away. It was one of the most blissful days for us since moving here. Exactly what we needed to start feeling more at home.
Apparently the head of all graduate programs for Medstar Hospitals (where Adam works) is a Buckeye fan. Who knew? Well, the first game of the season just happened to be at the Ravens stadium in Baltimore where Medstar owns a box suite. The head of graduate programs got special permission to open it up for the game and invite anyone she wanted so she searched the database looking for OSU Alumni. Score!! I was so sad when we left Ohio that I had never made it to a Buckeye football game. But now I got my chance. It was so spectacular watching our beloved buckeyes in person and spending the whole day with Adam! I couldn't stop smiling or touching Adam's arm. I think he might have gotten a little annoyed, but to his credit he had just come from working the night shift and had only slept a couple of hours. He was so exhausted.
Shane is 6 years old now! It doesn't really seem weird to me, but maybe that is because I've been telling people he is 6 for the last couple of months.
A most wonderful friend came to my rescue and watched the kids for a bit so I could go buy Shane's birthday presents. I don't know what I would have done without her help!
The cake ended up tasting kind of gross, but the kids couldn't tell. Tessa LOVED it (if you can't tell from the picture).
The Saturday after Shane's birthday was when we wanted to celebrate since Adam had the day off. Course he is on the night shift so he was sleeping during the day. Makenzie had a party to go to, so with some help from another friend I was able to take Shane on a special birthday day trip while Makenzie was gone. We went down to Inner Harbor to tour the USS Torsk (WWII Submarine) and the USS Constellation (Civil War Sail Boat). Shane LOVED it! He also really liked listening to the audio tour. He would always keep his eyes out for the numbers so he could punch them in to listen. I loved taking him on a special trip just me and him (ok Tessa tagged along, but he didn't mind). It meant so much to both of us.
School started this month! Shane and Makenzie are both so excited! Shane is in 1st grade this year and Makenzie started Preschool. Makenzie is over the moon excited to be a "school kid" now and Shane is in heaven to be reunited with his best school bud! Shane and his friend met each other last year in Kindergarten as Shane finished out the year in Baltimore. They aren't in the same class this year, but they ride the bus together and play everyday at recess.
I'm not looking foward to all the driving I'll be doing with dropping off and picking up at preschool, but I'm really excited for Makenzie to feel like a big kid and to get some one on one time with Tessa.
Here's to hopefully more frequent posting now that we are settling in more.
Later.





looking good! miss you guys
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are finally being able to settle down after a crazy whirlwind! Keep the posts coming :)
ReplyDeleteCutest first day of school pictures! I'm glad you found a preschool for Makenzie, what school is she going to? I love that you posted this link, I always love blog stalking :)
ReplyDelete