Saturday, May 23

Oregon (and the case of the dreaded overalls)

Shane and I flew out to Oregon at the beginning of May to visit my family. I hadn't been home since Adam and I got married. It was also my birthday and a week before Mother's Day. On top of that my sister and her two kids were also able to come from Utah. This meant that all of my siblings would be together at home for the first time in a very long time. There was even one more bonus: my grandparents and my uncle (I haven't seen any of them since getting married) came to visit and got to meet Shane and Leah (my sister's little girl) for the first time. Needless to say, this was a very special trip.

The plane trips were exhausting. Shane was really tired, but has a really hard time falling asleep anywhere but his crib. So, he was very squirmy. I actually lucked out on all but one of my flights; there were enough empty seats that I got to take Shane's car seat on the plane without paying extra. That was fantastic because the few times he did sleep he didn't have to be in my arms. I was really hoping he would just play in this car seat the whole time, but he was so fascinated by the people on the plane that he had to be able to see them at all times. Anyone who smiled at him got to see his biggest, cheesiest grin.

Shane slept great the first night we were there (Course it did feel like 2am our time). Every night after that he woke up at least twice but often 3 or 4 times. This is not like Shane at all. At home he sleeps 12 hours. I was pretty tired the whole week since getting up often in the night is not something I am used to. The one nice thing about him waking up was that he was really cuddly, which he has never been before. I loved it! A couple of weeks after coming home we realized the problem was the new formula he was eating all week (he decided a couple weeks earlier that nursing wasn't for him anymore). Not only was he not sleeping well, but he was also fussier than normal and had diarrhea all week long.

Here are some pictures from the trip:

All the kids had lots of fun playing together all week long. Shane loved having all the extra people around to watch and play with. These first two pictures show what Shane often looks like when he is watching what people are doing. Just soaking it all in.


This is Shane's scowl. He started that a couple of months ago. We haven't figured out what makes him scowl yet, but it is kind of cute.

Shane loved playing with everyone. This is him playing with Leah (3weeks younger than Shane), Addy (my brother's daughter) and my sister.

Shane and Leah. They always seemed to want the same toy.
Jeremiah (my sister's oldest)

The Case of the Dreaded Overalls:
Shane never minds them until he realizes he has them on. Then he thinks they are a bib. I think the pictures tell the rest of the story pretty well.
The story always ends with mom distracting him with a cool toy.



These are a couple of pictures my mom took.

Shane looks really chubby in this picture, but his weight is actually only 30% for his age.
My uncle Todd with Shane, Leah and Addy. We were going to get pictures with my grandparents the next day, but sadly they weren't feeling well and had to head home early. Lesson learned: never delay important things. Thanks Grandma, Grandpa and Todd for coming to visit. Shane and I are so glad we got to see you even if for a short time.


Since we had all of the kids in my family at home, my mom got a good friend to take some pictures of all of us at a park.

This is my dad and Shane.
(My dad's name is Mitchel. That is were Shane's middle name comes from.)

My LITTLE brother Aron and me. He was once littler than me, I promise.

All my siblings: Aron, Jordan, me and Heather. I am the second to last in age.

My parents with all their grand kids. (Jeremiah, Leah, Shane and Addy)
The whole family (minus Adam and my sister's husband Greg). Way to represent the in-laws Becca :-)

There were a few things I wanted to do in Oregon that I didn't get to do (like going to the beach and introducing Shane to waves and sand), but it was still a great trip. We did a lot of lounging and playing with the kids. Shane and I are so glad we went. Thanks for having us Mom and Dad!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a great trip! I love all the pictures of Shane! I have several favorites: I love his scowl, I love the way he played with Leah, and I love, love, LOVE his reaction to overalls! What a character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was wrong with the formula? Have you found a different formula that works for him now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not sure what exactly was wrong with the formula. We just know it was the formula causing him intestinal problems. At home we switched him back to his normal formula and after a couple of days he was back to his normal self. So we spent $20 on formula he can't finish and $50 on a costco card that isn't as cost effective anymore. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about another trip next year and I promise we will go to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How Fun!!! I was so happy for you, it is always the best when you are able to go home and see family, especially after it had been so long!
    I love all the family pics, that was such a good idea. Plus I am not going to lie the pics of Shane are PRICELESS!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...